Pep Guardiola’s decision: will he stay or will he go?

Reports suggest that somewhere in Barcelona today Pep Guardiola is meeting Sandro Rosell to discuss his future, and that an announcement will be made either tonight or tomorrow on his decision. The fans and press have been kept guessing but it seems the moment of truth is very close.

If Guardiola has already decided then he has given few clues in his press conferences as he has refused to be drawn on the subject. It could, of course, be possible that Pep hasn’t taken a final decision or that he still has things to negotiate with Rosell and he is trying to bargain from a position of strength.

There are plenty of rumours flying about but they are varied so it is difficult to tell. Those who claim he will leave are accused by the other side of being from Johan Cruyff’s camp. The problem here is that it all starts to get political. If Guardiola leaves then the finger will point at Rosell as the one to take the blame, and the next lot of pretenders for the Barça presidency will begin jostling for position.

Guardiola has said that he will do what is best for the club. This has given hope to fans as it seems obvious that the best thing for Barça is to have Pep continue. However, as the hour approaches I have to confess I think he’s going to leave. The reasons could be various and it will be fascinating to hear what he says if he does go, though I doubt it has much to do with Rosell.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but we should be prepared for another blow this week. However, we should not get too catastrophic in our reaction, it will not mean the break up of this team. Another coach will come, more trophies will be won. More tomorrow when they announce something.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Opinion, Pep Guardiola and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Pep Guardiola’s decision: will he stay or will he go?

1. mjmare says:

I hope he stays, he has said in press conferences what sounds like hints of staying, we will have to find out , when the news comes. He has given us so much over the past 4 seasons, taken the team to a new level and defeated his critics.

2. thisisspain says:

As a fan of the Beautiful Game I hope he stays. He has done a great job and up until the last few days I would say his management and comportment have been exemplary.

What has amazed me is how Pep and the Barcelona players have “given up” on the league ……when you could still win it by 5 points! I would have thought the thing to do at this hot moment is to say, “We are going tooth and nail for all 12 points and if Madrid lose twice then the final jornada is going to be “interesting”. I can’t see Sir Alex saying, “Oh well, if we lose on Monday, the season is over”.

Bizarre!

3. FC Barcelona Rocks! says:

I hope he stays!!!!

4. FC Barcelona Rocks! says:

Leaving when the team is not doing so well is not THE ART OF A WARRIOR at all. Come-on Pep!!! Don’t let us down!! You must stay!!!!

5. Rafa Benitez gave a good explication of Spanish failure in the Champions League

Although the rumours doing the rounds are all insinuating Guardiola’s departure, I think it is too premature for him to make such a decision as that will be tantamount to leaving Barça in the lurch.

Yes, he’s won it all but he hasn’t done it all. I still believe he’s got something up his sleeves. To name a few;
    He just acquired Cesc & Alexis.
    He just started integrating Thiago, Cuenca, Tello and ‘Toya.
    Injury hasn’t afforded him the luxury of blending in Ibi properly.
    He just started introducing the 3-4-3 …….. and a whole lot of other scenarios.
    There’s a lot that’s not finished & I’m actually anxious to see how the team will look like next season. Please Pep, you have to finish what you’ve started. Your presence @ the club transcends the trophies we seemingly lost in recent days. We (@ least I) still want you to stick around for a couple more years and extend your prestigious legend @ the club. Please Pep, STAY!!!!!

Visca Pep!!!!!

I would be devastated if he left, in my mind Pep is the best person (ever) in the world of sports, and I want him to coach my team until I’m an old guy living in past memories. But of course I couldn’t begrudge him his decision to leave. “La Vanguardia” apparently said that Rosell offered him the same salary as Messi and complete control over the team, but I’m not sure money is the issue, and I remember Pep once joked that he already had too many responsibilities and that he didn’t need more ;-)
    French magazine “L’Equipe” had last week a special issue on Barça (I highly recommend it for all French readers, it’s fantastic) and in it there’s an interview from Cruyff. He says that the most difficult part of a coach’s job is when after a few years, you need to change your team to keep it competitive, because you’ve developped a special relationship with the players. I wonder if that’s not in Guardiola’s head at the moment. On the other hand, he’s got unfinished business with this team, it wouldn’t fit if he didn’t leave in full glory.
    Well, let’s go and light a few candles while waiting for tomorrow!

Will be sad but won’t be surprised if he leaves…

9. barcacelt says:

I’m gonna keep my own speculation simple – he’ll sign a new 2/3 year contract then he’ll take off on a year’s sabbatical after that..you’ll see!

10. FC Barcelona Rocks! says:

i think he’s gonna sign another year

11. FC Barcelona Rocks! says:

i have the same opinion as bc9jaCulé and Fredegar

As much as we fans want Pep the Barca icon to stay we also need to understand that Pep is also a guy with obligations to himself and his family. If Pep feels he needs to give more time to himself and his family, then we need to respect that and irrespective of whether he stays, leaves or perhaps returns in the near future – we will always consider ourselves blessed to be Barca fans in the age when arguably the greatest Barca team of all time we coached to numerous accolades and titles by one of their very own – the incomparable,dignified,courageous and someone who was respected by both foes and fans – Pep Guardiola.

13. STEPASHKA says:

I HOPE YOU STAY , PLEASE STAY GUARDIOLA, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

14. ARMENIA says:

GUARDIOLA WE LOV YOU , PLEASE LISTEN TO US, STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

15. barcacentralenrique says:

leaving now just doest seem right to me. after this terribly tough week, it would be poor timing and leave with a negative impression id say. plus why announce tomorrow with a few games to go? unfortunately my head says he is going to go but the timing now would point more to a boost for the squad. these defeats and the area of stupid analysis of our decline, should give him motivation no? thats what i hope

16. FC Barcelona Rocks! says:

THE BPL bandwagon are riling him up to leave. Check this article out guys http://whatculture.com/sport/5-reasons-barcelona-should-sack-pep-guardiola-after-chelsea-loss.php#comment-99467

An announcement expected after this morning’s training session which has just started. Everything pointing to a decision to leave :-(

Press conference announced for 13.30h with Guardiola, Zubizaretta and Rosell.

19. FC Barcelona Rocks! says:

Did he announce already???? This article says he did. This is fast turning into my most saddest week as a Cule

Tuesday night I told my girlfriend I would never cry because of football. Watching this press conference I’m not so sure now…