Champions League Draw: Arsenal Vs Barça

The Champions League draw has just been made and we now know that Barça’s opponent in the last 16 is our old friend Arsenal. It must seem a bit like Groundhog day for Arsenal having seen their dreams of Champions League glory destroyed by Barça twice in recent years. In May 2006 Juliano Belletti wrote his name forever into the history books smacking the ball between Almunia’s legs, I think we all remember that one. Then last season Arsenal couldn’t believe their luck when they escaped with a 2-2 draw at the Emirates after being overrun for 65 minutes, but there was no escaping the deadly efficiency of Leo Messi in the return leg and Arsenal received a 4-1 thrashing.

Arsenal fans will definitely be eager for revenge. Besides losing twice to us in the clashes mentioned above they also have quite a history of transfer disputes with Barça. There were a few tears shed in London when Thierry Henry moved to a sunnier climate in 2007, but the hysteria that was caused by the Cesc Fabregas soap opera last summer is summed up by the Arsenal shirt being sold now with Cesc’s number 4.

You’ve got to laugh I suppose.

Anyway, sorry if this is a bit short today, lots of things I need to be getting on with. The new blog still needs a lot of work on it, but we just wanted to get up and started as quickly as possible. I hope this is the start of a great new project.

This entry was posted in Champions League and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Champions League Draw: Arsenal Vs Barça

well done boys getting this up and running so soon.

NIC, if you have a moment, check the FCBnews email u left, im excited to help out on this new venture.

arsenal wise, its a match we really can win. prem wise i enjoy arsenal a lot, but they suck against big teams with any sort of tactics. this is a match up i would expect to win. i had hoped they got real madrid, would have enjoyed it far more as a neutral. only other tie that is very tasty is spurs vs ac.

i just saw it now. my bad

They first game in London has been set for Wednesday 16 February with the return at Camp Nou on Tuesday 8 March. Bring it on!

4. CougaR10 says:

tactical wise.. arsenal is very unorganized ..the jsut cam pull string of passes but it heads nowhere..
    but the form of Samir Nasri and return of RVP concerns me the most..
    but its still 2 months left ..just hope we stay this form until then…

Nice to be back on WordPress, some interesting links – here’s what an Arsenal fan thinks – http://sportrambles.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/and-arsenal-will-be-facing%E2%80%A6-barcelona/

6. Up barca-blaugrana will definately triumph against arsenal-both home and away.Lets be careful so that the players remain fit and unharmed…GOOD LUCK TO THE CAMP NOU,GOOD LUCK TO THE BARCELONS!!!

7. titi186 says:

@ Nic

LOL – I am pretty sure you ripped that off my facebook profile 😛 I took that on Monday at Old Trafford 😀

I do miss your blog and wish I posted more before it closed and will definately try to make some comments as I still love watching Barca every week and the demolishing of the scum from Madrid was one of the happiest days of my life !!

Draw is a tough one. Barca should win though Arsenal are the only team who will remotely attack Barca so it will be an excellent game regardless. also I will be at the Nou Camp for the 2nd leg so I hope its a thriller 🙂

Long live this blog, and miss having some good arguements with you guys !!

• barcacentralnic says:

@ titi186 – Hello mate, How’s Henry getting on with the Red Bulls? It’s been a while without hearing from you. Hope we’ll hear some more from you especially on the Arsenal game. Yes, I confess to ripping off your number 4 photo, what idiot would wear such a shirt, eh?

8. AyousB says:

I was so sad to the extend that i don’t know what to comment when i saw that last post on fcbnews because though i dont always comment, i am a regular reader.
    Reading through some comments after that, i had been looking forward to this and i’ll have to thank Nic, Darren, and others that made this possible once more. Thanx so much, more grease to your elbows.
    Concerning the draws, i think, i like us meeting Arsenal, though they are trying to play our style of football but the fact is that if you are not Barca, you can not play the same as Barca and taking a look at our form currently, i know every other teams are trying to avoid us because they know the best team will always conquer.
    Forca Barca

9. Skizz says:

You guys are fast! I have little invested in teams like Arsenal, in fact I admire them from a distance. But seeing that jersey gets me all riled up, I hope Barca dominates them come February!

And I agree Nic, wordpress is much more convenient than OleOle. Also, I know a thing or two about Photoshop – if you guys need a header image I don’t mind taking a shot at it. Let me know.

Visca el Barca!

10. Bookmakers have Arsenal at 22/1 at progressing…..

11. And the complete draw:

Champions League draw – First Round
    AS Roma v Shakhtar Donetsk
    AC Milan v Tottenham Hotspur
    Valencia v FC Schalke
    Inter Milan v Bayern Munich
    Lyon v Real Madrid
    Arsenal v Barcelona
    Marseille v Manchester United
    Copenhagen v Chelsea

12. Omer says:

Short but effective. Nic, as long as we can keep u blogging about Barca, we don’t mind the length of the blog…;)

Regarding the draw, as long as we can stay injury free, I don’t see why Arsenal should pose a problem for us. Granted we still have to play and win over the 2 legs but surely Arsenal is a better proposition for us than say Lyon, Inter, Marseille or Milan. We know that they can play only one way i.e. that is like our reserve/youth team at their best and if we play our way then we should progress to the next round.

@Nic: Aside from Afellay any potential signings during the Jan window?

All things bein’ equal, I dont actually see any justifiable reason Barça shouldn’t outdo Arsenal once again. I guess d clash is decided already. And pls, I don’t mean to sound overly confident but eh, they couldn’t withstand d attack of Messi-Ibra-Pedro let alone that of Messi-Villa-Pedro. Ten to one, I think Arsenal are all but dead meat. I foresee an 8-1 aggregate.

CheerS.

Interesting write up on the tie from Phil McNulty from the BBC site – http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/12/as_arsenals_players_and_manage.html
    I love the line near the end “The problem for Arsenal is that their natural game is effectively a Barcelona-lite.”