Preview: Espanyol Vs Barca

What better first post to do apart from a classico match than to preview the huge local derby between Barca and Espanyol.

No matter where Espanyol is sitting on the league, they always step up against us. Recent history suggests nothing different, as we drew 0-0 back on April 17th away at the Cornella-El Prat.

Expect a full 40,500 capacity crowd this Saturday, as Espanyol are flying high and are currently in fourth spot – despite losing last week to Athetic Bilbao 2-1 away. Espanyol has won all seven home league games this season while letting in just two goals..something which clearly indicates a home fortress.

Barcelona are also flying high – we have scored a whopping 34 goals in our last 8 games – an amazing 4.25 average while only conceding a lowly 2 goals..Messi leading the way with a ridiculous 21 goals in the last 14 competitive games. This team truly is special right now.

Despite Barca being all-conquering, we are only 2 points ahead of Madrid, who play Sevilla on Sunday. This game will be huge, Madrid are missing a lot of key players, including Xabi Alonso and Marcelo who are both suspended for Jose Mourinho’s side while Gonzalo Higuain, Kaka, Fernando Gago, Sergio Canales, Sergio Ramos and Jerzy Dudek are all injured. Lets pray for a draw at least.

Back to the clash Saturday. I don’t think there will be too many changes to the mix – I suspect we will lineup as strong as possible, being a huge game before the standard La Liga Christmas break. Espanyol don’t have any issues with their squad, and despite flying high no one truly expects them to take much out of this clash – something which I’m sure will only encourage them to put in a tough performance. A big encouragement to myself is Villa finding the net now on a regular basis, and looking like he is really blending in well now with the team. This game will be a big test before the break.

Possible Lineups:

Barcelona: Valdes, Abidal,  Puyol, Pique, Alves, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Villa, Pedro

Espanyol: Kameni, Ruiz, Forlin, Didac, Torres, Verdu, Duscher, Osvaldo, Garcia, Datolo, Callejon

My Prediction: Barcelona 2 – Espanyol 0

This entry was posted in Match Previews. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Preview: Espanyol Vs Barca

Well done Darren for getting the site up and running. Tomorrow’s game should be a terrific battle – Espanyol are in great form and have won seven out of seven at home this season. However, Barça have been simply sensational in the last few weeks and the team is really working well. I expect a close game but Barça are just too good at the moment and I think we’ll take the three points: Espanyol 1 Barça 2

Hi Nic and Darren,
    A big thumbs up for you guys. Glad that we fans are moving on up. Great that the community that Nic has created can still be together. Very much appreciate the effort, the time and the work you put in it. So for now, thank you dearly.

A win for Barca. As Guardiola himself had said it, the team is playing better than ever.

3. DIATUS says:

FANTSTIC JOB guys!!! this is great. I look forward to the game.

4. Omer says:

Congrats to Darren and Nic for keeping the community alive and kicking. Espanyol is a team I love to hate because they always come together when they’re playing us and fizzle out against Real. Plus I can never forgive them for robbing us of the 2007 title on the final day.

I hope we give them a good hammering to remind them who’s the top team in town.

Once again gr8 job and best of luck with the new blog.

Hi every1. My ID used to be NigerianCatalan @ fcbnews but I chose to use bc9jaCulé here. bc for barcacentral, 9ja for Nigerian and Culé for Catalan so I guess I just rephrased d ID jst like d site was.

About d match, I guess Barça will just have to slug it out with our local (& most stubborn) rivals tonight. I admit it aint gonna be a stroll in d park but I envisage a convincin’ victory.

My prediction:
    Esp 0 – 3 Barça.

All d best.

@ bcDarren & bcNic

Kudos to u guys for keepin’ d fire burnin’!!! @ least we can come together to share d euphoria of our highly revered club once again. Gracias guys. (pls excuse my Spanish – jst tryin’ to comprehend one or two Spanish words)

6. Lockei17 says:

Well done guys, hopefully this blog will be as good as the previous one.
    Very tough game today and i have a bad feeling about the game, hoepfully i am very wrong.

7. DAYYIB-SM says:

espanyol 0-3 barcelona….

i am realy very glad to see an other project…..well done gays…

thank you very much gays……..

8. I do not think that this will be too difficult a game for us to win!

The team has just been announced. It’s our best eleven
    Valdés; Alves, Piqué, Puyol, Abidal; Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta; Pedro, Messi, Villa.
    Espanyol also play their best team: Kameni; Chica, Forlin, Victor Ruiz, Didac; Baena, Javi Marquez; Luis Garcia, Verdu, Jose Callejon; Osvaldo.

Should be a cracker!