Messi wins the Ballon d’Or

Just a quick post to say that Leo Messi has just been awarded the Fifa Ballon d’Or as the best player of 2010. There had been a lot of speculation that the award would go to Xavi or Iniesta as World Cup winners but Iniesta had to make do with second place while Xavi came in third. I wrote my opinion on who should win the Ballon d’Or a couple of weeks ago and I believe justice has been done, while readers of this blog voted clearly in favour of Xavi.

This is the eighth Ballon d’Or to be awarded to a Barça player after Luis Suarez (1960), Johan Cruyff (1973, 1974), Stoichkov (1994), Rivaldo (1999), Ronaldinho (2005) and Messi (2009).

We also had six players in Fifa’s ideal team of 2010 with Piqué, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Villa all included. Making up the eleven were Maicon, Lucio and Sneijder from Inter Milan and Casillas and Ronaldo from Real Madrid.

This entry was posted in Andres Iniesta, Leo Messi, Xavi Hernandez and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Messi wins the Ballon d’Or

1. queenhisa says:

congratulations Lio…..
    I’m so Proud with you….

^__^

2. Noureddine says:

Well let me just say it was an expected surprise, hands down La Pulga is the most gifted player of his generation if not all time, no doubt about that, but though I feel guilty for being surprised that Messiah won it again, for just one reason based on the formula that it’s used by FIFA to indetify the player of the year after a world cup tournament, which’s the player of the year has to be from the team that actually won the world cup as simple as that, which would make Andres Iniesta the solely winner for scoring the winning goal, but I guess Messi’s raw talent and unseen magic eclipsed all formulas, but I can’t hide the fact that I was having my fingers crossed hoping Xavi would clinch it…after all I’m just glad that I’m witnessing this golden generation of Barcelona producing the world most talented players, and proud to be a barca fan, long live lord Pep and his boys.

3. Yes, congratulations to Lio. My favorite was Xavi, but it may take a few more years for FIFA to catch up with the rest of the world with respect to what defines a great player. Goals are great, but how a team plays and what drives it are just as great.

4. 9jaCulé says:

Hmmm! My heart almost leaped out of my chest when Coach Pep held that paper in his hands and paused for a moment before announcin’ the winner.

Well, I so much wished for Xavi to have clinched it but I guess my opinion was mainly emotional. This simply reflects that the national teams’ coaches and captains & even the seasoned journalists, despite their frequent (&mostly vicious) criticisms, couldn’t help but identify with the genius and magic of Messi.

I read somewhere that in 2010 alone, he scored:

42 league goals in 36 league games.

12 CL goals in 12 CL matches

Out of the 10 goals scored by Argentina in the WC, he assisted 8.

Seriously, these statistics are simply irresistible. I guess this reflects that he’s evolvin’ into “XaviIniestaMessi” all incorporated and integrated in one body.

Congrats King Leo!
    Congrats Professor Xavi!
    Congrats Master Ini!
    U all deserve it but only one must get it.

What a magnificent & splendid time to be a Culé.

All hail King Leo!!!

Forca Barça!

5. I was hoping Xavi would win because this was probably his last chance. Nevertheless, it is nearly impossible to argue with choosing Messi for any award (the Ricardo Zamora Trophy being a possible exception. )

Apologies admin.
    I skipped the ‘bc’ before my name in the comment I sent around 5.37am today. Guess I was overwhelmed by the hysteria brought about by Messi’s unveilin’ last night.

Can u please approve the comment?

All hail King Leo!

Thanks!

You can see who voted for who at the following links, interestingly neither Eto’o nor Ibrahimovic voted for Messi –

National team captains – http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/54100331903.html

National team coaches – http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/54100335515.html

Journalists – http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/54099528322.html

What left to say is, congrats to Messi. I’m so proud and seriously he is still improving and guys he will break the fifa record. Also congrats to Xavi and Iniesta, but hey only one can win it. Love you all.