UEFA Champions League Draw

Source - uefa.com

Just minutes ago the UEFA Champions League draw took place and we have been rather fortunate getting Ukrainians Shakhtar Donetsk.  Sure, we cannot take any team left too lightly, but considering the big guns we dodged, there simply cannot be any complaints.  Considering this tragedy with Abidal, the mystery around Puyol’s injury, and the likes of Villa misfiring, it’s great we can put off a huge European team until a bit later.

We will play the first leg at home on either April 5/6 and then travel to Ukraine for the return the very next week (12/13).  If we do progress, we will meet the victor of the Real Madrid – Tottenham Hotspur tie in either Madrid or London on April 26/27.  I think it’s quite advantageous to have the return leg in the Camp Nou May 3 or 4.

I don’t think we could have got a much better draw.  Playing most likely Real Madrid in the semi’s is quite epic and maybe I would have preferred the likes of Inter there, but, that’s nitpicking.  Exciting times ahead.

The entire draw:

QF 1 – Real Madrid vs Tottenham

QF 2 – Chelsea vs Manchester United

QF 3 – Barcelona vs Shakhtar Donetsk

QF 4 – Internazionale vs Schalke

SF 1 – Winner QF 4 vs Winner QF 2

SF 2 – Winner QF 1 vs Winner QF 3

This entry was posted in Champions League. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to UEFA Champions League Draw

I’m still just trying to get used to the idea that Abidal is out now. Really blows. Like the case you made, bboy, it is good to get a “smaller” team at this stage and hopefully we can at least get Puyol back before the Semis. Should be rather exciting.

Not that I’m already thinking past the semis, but honestly it would be sad if we didn’t make it at least that far.

3. barcacentralroger says:

Have to say that I’m glad that if we’re going to meet Real that it is in the semis rather than the final – over two legs we should best them, but in a single match too much chance could come into play. One bad decision.

Shaktar is not as good a draw as Schalke, but beats drawing any other team.

Well, there were clearly four big teams in this draw, and we can consider ourselves lucky to have avoided them in the QFs.
    It looks a good draw, but as goes the cliché, you can’t underestimate nobody at this stage. Particularly not an Eastern team, as we have struggled a lot againt their sort these last few years. Ukraine had two teams left in the draws today with Dynamo Kiev making it to the last eight of the Europa League after beating Man City, so that shows the strength of their football, or at least of their best teams, as they constantly compete at the highest level in Europe, just behind the top 7-8 teams. There’s also the matter of the long travel to Ukraine, but at least it won’t be full winter there.
    For once I’m pretty happy that we play the first leg in the Camp Nou as it gives us a chance to finish the tie in the first leg. Should we miss that, it won’t be easy to clinch qualification on their pitch, but we will go in the tie as clear favourites and should be able to get through whatever happens.
    Tottenham-Madrid could be a very exciting tie to watch, I give a decent chance to the English, I would far prefer to meet them than Mou’ again in the semis!
    Visca Barça!

Well, no complaints with the draw. I’m glad with the feature RM – T’ham. I wannna see what Bale can do against Mou visa versa. Should be very exciting. I think T’ham will go through. Chelsea- ManU will be a cracker.

BARCA, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE YOUR OPPONENT PLESAE!!!!

The draw’s quite fair, sincerely. We’ve played against Shakhtar before so, I don’t see us havin’ much qualms humblin’ them right from the first leg @ CampNou. And I’m strongly cheerin’ for T’ham to advance @ the expense of Madrid so as to avoid an overdose of Clasicos as we’ve got a mouthful of that @ stake already.

What do you guys say about a Barça–Inter Grand Finale? Fingers crossed, AMBITIOUSLY!

Visca Barça!!!
    Força Barça!!!

Oh, I forgot to add this; NO COMPLACENCY AGAINST ANY OPPONENT HENCEFORTH, PLEASE!!!

Visca Barça!!!