Barça clean up at the Fifa Gala

Having won five out of six trophies in 2011 it was no big surprise that FC Barcelona should dominate the Fifa Awards this year. Leo Messi was the obvious star of the night picking up his third consecutive Ballon d’Or becoming only the fourth player in history after Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini and Marco Van Basten to win the award three times. Xavi and Iniesta also made The Top Five which this year was Messi, C. Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta and Wayne Rooney.

Messi’s dominance in the sport is without doubt and Johan Cruyff’s affirmation that Messi could go on to win seven Ballons d’Or seems are real possibility if we remember Messi’s age. At 24 he should be nearing his peak, he has progressed every year, and as he seems to take perfect care of himself there is no reason, barring some horrible luck, why we shouldn’t continue to enjoy the marvellous abilities of this young man at the highest level for at least another five or six seasons. I had to stop writing after I finished that last sentence just to stop and dream about what he might be capable of doing if things continue to go well for him. However, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, even, heaven forbid, if he never scored another goal in his life, Messi at 24 has already earnt the right to be considered by many, myself included, to be the Greatest Footballer of all Time.

But it wasn’t just about Messi tonight. Pep Guardiola won the Best Coach Award for the second time beating Sir Alex Ferguson, who was awarded the Fifa Presidential award, and José Mourinho to the prize. Guardiola’s ability to manage this group of players is vital to our success. He has dazzled us with his tactical changes season after season to stay one step ahead of the rest, while his hard work and dedication are an example to all. He also nearly always keeps a cool head and knows how to deal with the press whether they are with him or against him, leaving a very good image of himself and therefore of the club wherever he goes.

Finally, there were five Barça players in the Fifa Best XI of 2011. The eleven were Casillas, Alves, Piqué, Ramos, Vidic, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo. Five Barça, four Madrid and two Man United! Have to say it’s a pretty good team but I can’t for the life of me understand how Sergio Ramos gets in the team. Abidal, Mascherano or Puyol are all better and  Thiago Silva and Mats Hummels are just a couple more who I’d rate over Ramos.

This entry was posted in Andres Iniesta, Dani Alves, Gerard Piqué, Leo Messi, Xavi Hernandez and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Barça clean up at the Fifa Gala

1. barcacentralroger says:

It was lovely that Pep dedicated his award to Tito and Leo recognised Xavi so much in his speech.

Highlight of the night for me was from Pep when accepting his award:

“President of FIFA Mr Blatter, President of UEFA Michel Platini… Pique’s girlfriend Shakira… Ladies and Gentlemen…”

Congrats to the Barca family. So happy and proud for Messi and Pep. Loved Messi’s dedication towards Xavi and he was so moved by it. And Pep has left out Pele from the row, haha! At this rate, I don’t see Messi going backwards, so that means he will surely stamp a historic record by the time he is at his highest peak. Messi is so sure that he will win a WC with Arg. I hope so Leo and so cementing your greatness.

Btw, Iker didn’t vote for Xavi or Iniesta. I think he’s jealous of their success. Last year he said Xavi should have won it. And what is it this time, he puts Ozil before Xavi and Iniesta. As the Spanish captain he is so weird, he doesn’t dare to vote for those two. The same goes for VDB, he didn’t either. A bunch of hypocrites I say.

• barcacentralnic says:

This is the problem with having players and coaches voting. The idea that you are recognised by your fellow professionals is great, unfortunately some of them behave like insecure children and they vote for their friends and teammates. It didn’t affect the overall result but I’m sure it will one year.

• FCB-Parbo says:

Well Nic, Xavi and Iniesta are his teammates on the NT. They won the Euro- and WC thanks to them as Barca players. And I just can’t get over VDB. If your NT-captain and your NT-coach can’t recognise, how do you expect that others will do. I’m so glad that the majority wasn’t blind. And beside, didn’t VDB said himself that he wasn’t blind. Duh!!!!!

I’m just so genuinely happy for Pep and Leo. And to imagine that he’s reached such esteem heights at a tender age of just 24 is really monumental and barring any calamity, my dear Leo could go on to win 5 on the trot. I just can’t word the extreme joy I feel for this wonderful lad. Wishing everyone culé out there the very best of life.

Visca Leo!!!
    Visca Pep!!!
    Visca Barça!!!

Truly a privilege to be a Barca fan in this age. I grew up watching the great Milan side of the late 80s and early 90s and to me they were the benchmark for any club side that aspired to be a ‘great’ side. However Rijkaard’s Barca initially and the finale in the form of Pep’s Barca is simply unbelievable at times. While this side has phenomenal players, the key to the Barca magic IMO is Pep and his team. I really hope Pep stays at Barca because this team and Barca have a long,long way to go and create even more football history. While we have captured 3 CL titles since 2006, we’re still 5 behind Real’s tally which is somewhat disappointing and which we should try overhaul with this team in the next few years.

Is it me or does the inclusion of Casillas and Ramos seem a bit strange to everybody in the World XI? Joe Hart and Van De Sar IMO were more deserving than Casillas but then thats just my opinion…:)